Obesity – The heavy cost of being heavy
- Obesity – The heavy cost of being heavy
Obesity has become a critical issue of the planet alongside Global warming and Overpopulation. The significant increase in the use of new technology also plays a part in keeping an individual less active and off activities and much-needed exercise. Obesity is a condition where a person’s Body Mass Index (BMI) is more than 30. The body weight in these conditions is usually 20% more than the ideal weight. The sedentary lifestyle can render a person in long-term health conditions like Diabetes, High Blood pressure and Kidney disease. Diabetes is the most dangerous among these. It’s a condition where the body makes enough insulin but the cells become resistant to the salutary action of insulin. Overeating, a primary cause of obesity, stresses the membranous network inside the cells called endoplasmic reticulum (ER). When the ER receives more nutrients than it can handle, it transmits a warning signal ordering the cell to dampen down insulin receptors. This leads to insulin resistance and high concentrations of glucose/ sugar in the blood- a sign of diabetes.
CAUSES OF OBESITY
- Eating processed or fast food high in fat
- Not eating fruit, vegetables and unrefined carbohydrates, such as wholemeal bread and brown rice
- Drinking too much alcohol – alcohol contains a lot of calories, and heavy drinkers are often overweight
- Eating out a lot – you may have a starter or dessert in a restaurant, and the food can be higher in fat and sugar
- Eating larger portions than you need – you may be encouraged to eat too much if your friends or relatives are also eating large portions
- Comfort eating – if you feel depressed or have low self-esteem you may comfort eat to make yourself feel better.
The only way of controlling or preventing diabetes caused by obesity is to fight obesity. Here are the steps to fight obesity:
- Eat more fruit, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains.
- Exercise, even moderately, for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Cut down your consumption of fatty and sugary foods.
- Use vegetable-based oils rather than animal-based fats.