Consultant Renal and Transplant Pathology
KIRAN.K is a Consultant Renal and Transplant Patholologist at NU Hospitals, Bangalore. He did his graduation (MBBS) from Mysore Medical College. He went on to pursue his post graduation (MD) in Pathology from one of the premiere institutes in the country (PGIMER, Chandigarh). He is well trained for interpretation of all kinds of laboratory samples. Due to his keen interest in Renal Pathology, he did his training for PDCC in Renal and transplant pathology from the same institute under the able guidance of two eminent Nephropathologists in India. He is well versed with interpretation of immunofluorescence, light microscopy and electron microscopic findings of renal biopsies (Native and allograft renal biopsies). He is also involved in National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratory (NABL) documentation, conducting internal audits and supervising quality programs of the Laboratory. He is a Life member of -Indian Society of Renal and Transplantation Pathology (ISRTP), Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists (IAPM), Indian Soceity of Nephrology (ISN).
- Routine histopathology reporting with ability to interpret immunostains, electron microscopy, immunofluorescence.
- Standardization of basic laboratory procedures including Histochemical stains, IHC, immunoflourescence & flowcytometry.
- Reporting of upto 2500 cases of renal biopsies (Native and Allograft) including immunofluorescence and electron microscopy under supervision and able guidance of two eminent Nephropathologists from India.
- Performing bone marrow procedure- including staining and reporting (nearly 2500 cases).
- Flow cytometry panel decision / procedure and interpretation.
- Conventional cytogenetics/ hemoglobin electrophoresis/ HPLC/ PCR.
- Coagulation lab/emergency lab management
- Performing image guided and routine FNA and reporting
- Cervical smears and fluid reporting
- HLA typing- both conventional and molecular methods.
- Serology and ELISA based immunopathology tests.
- Ability to tackle lectures and seminars in a more attractive and interactive manner.
- Basic knowledge in quality control management.
- Presentation for NBT award in CYTOCON 2011: Multifractal spectrum, fractal dimension and gray localization of co-occurrence of matrix of the chromatin pattern of breast carcinoma
- Presentation of rare and interesting cases in Pulmonary CME 2013: Pulmonary Amyloidoma
- Presentation of rare and interesting cases in ISRTP conference 2013: Monoclonal gammopathy associated Membranous glomerulonephritis
- Renal involvement in monoclonal plasma cell disorders- ISRTP conference 2013
- Mucinous eccrine adenocarcinoma of eyelid: A rare tumor at a common site- AIPNA CME 2014
- Amyloidogenic light chain cast nephropathy with intratubular amyloidosis- ISRTP conference 2014
- How different are ANCA negative and positive pauci-immune glomerulonephritis; an experience at tertiary care hospital with a large ANCA negative cohort- ISRTP conference 2014
- To participate in setting up of state of the art Renal and Transplant Pathology Laboratory that becomes a one stop center for Nephrology evaluation in Southern India.
- To contribute to the literature in the field of Renal and Transplant Pathology by means of research.
- To organize fellowship programs of Renal and Transplant Pathology for aspiring Pathologists.
Honours and Awards:
- Special appreciation by the jury for poster presentation in ISRTP conference 2013.
- Best poster award under the category of case reports in ISRTP conference 2014.
- Nuclear expression of β-catenin and stem cell markers as potential prognostic indicators in medulloblastoma. Neurology India. 2012; 60: 487-94.
- Proliferative glomerulonephritis with monoclonal immunoglobulin deposition disease: The utility of routine staining with immunoglobulin light chains. Indian Journal of Nephrology. (Ahead of print)
- Co-existence of tuberculosis and squamous cell carcinoma in a lymph node diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology. Cytopathology. 2012;23:276-277.
- An Uncommon Morphology of Acute Undifferentiated Leukemia: Report of a Rare Case. Journal of Bone Marrow Research.2013;1-2.
- Recurrence of ANCA-negative renal-limited pauci-immune glomerulonephritis in the renal allograft. Clinical Kidney Journal. 2013;1-4.
- Monoclonal gammopathy associated membranous glomerulonephritis: A rare entity. Indian Journal of Nephrology. 2015;25;:50-3.
- Light chain proximal tubulopathy with cast nephropathy in a case of multiple myeloma without Fanconi syndrome: A rare morphology. Indian Journal of Nephrology. Published online.
- Dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor transforming into malignancy: A case report. Neurology India. 2014; 62: 316-318.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis and severe respiratory involvement. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2014;1-3.
- Mucinous eccrine carcinoma of the eyelid: re-emphasizing the need for awareness of rare lesions. Dermatology reports. 2014; 6:12-13.
- A curious case of abdominal pain relieved by aspirin. Gastroenterology. 2014; 1-4.
- Successful induction of granulomatosis with polyangiitis with tacrolimus. Indian Journal of Nephrology. 2015;25:46-9..
- Laparoscopic management of a hydatid cyst of the adrenal gland. Korean J Urol. 2014;55:493-5.
- Barium granuloma mimicking carcinoma rectum: An unusual presentation. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2014;57:506-7.
- Leiomyosarcoma of the vagina: A rare entity with comprehensive review of the literature. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2014;4:128-30.
- Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma with Melanocytic Differentiation: A Case Report, with Review of the Literature. Austin J Clin Pathol. 2014;1: 1-3.
- Intra-Scrotal Extra-Testicular Leiomyoma, a Common Mesenchymal Tumor at a Rare Site: Emphasizing the Need for Awareness of Its Occurrence. Open Journal of Pathology. 2015; 5: 8-11.
- Life member – Indian Society of Renal and Transplantation Pathology.
- Life member – Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists.
- Life member – Indian Soceity of Nephrology