To Protect the Kidneys:
- Avoid taking over-the-counter (OTC) drugs.
- Avoid painkillers, especially if you already have diminished kidney function.
- Quit smoking.
- Ensure good control of blood sugar at all times, if you are a diabetic patient.
- Ensure adequate control of hypertension.
- Periodic urine analyses and kidney function tests are required, especially in long-standing diabetics and hypertensives, to identify early kidney disease.
- Adequate medical attention and follow-up treatment are required in children with urinary tract & infection (UTI).