Senior Consultant and HOD Anesthesiology and critical care
Dr. Alka says that building a rapport with the patient and providing information to them (such as what kind of anaesthesia would be administered to them, what they could expect during the surgery and the post-operative period, what could be the possible complications based upon their condition, and so on) helps in making sure patients receive effective and compassionate care.
To establish a rapport with the patients, she ensures that a relationship with a patient is built up by meeting and interacting with him or her regularly.
She says anaesthesiologists now treat anaesthesiology as a perioperative procedure(‘peri’ means ‘all around’) – with pre-op, inter-op and post-op periods. The anaesthesiologist meets and interacts with the patient regularly during most of these three periods.
To ensure that patients are well-informed, Dr. Alka provides patients with NU Hospitals’ Public Information Brochures(PIBs) on anaesthesia. These information resources provide important, useful information about anaesthesia and anaesthesiology. She also tells them about what they can expect during the surgery and also after the surgery (during the post-operative period), what kind of anaesthesia will be administered during the surgery and so on.
These measures, she says, can contribute in providing medical care that is effective and compassionate.
- Conducted Paediatric Urology Workshop (Bladder Augmentation & Ureteric Reimplant Surgery)
- Attended Cardiac Anaesthesia – CME 2007
- Attended 1st National Conference of Anaesthesia for Renal Transplant Surgery, May 10-11 2008 at Coimbatore
- Lead Anaesthetist for Workshop on Laparoscopic Urology Surgery, May 31 2008 at NU Hospitals
- Lead Anaesthetist for Workshop on Laser’s and Flexi-Renoscopy in Renal Calculus Management, June 21 2008 at NU Hospitals
- Attended 9th SAARC Anaesthesia Congress, held in Bangalore, Aug 2011
- Invited as faculty in Regional Convention on Patient Safety, Organised by AMC Bangalore chapter in association with RGUHS Bangalore to speak on – Improving Hand Hygiene in Healthcare set up on Oct 20, 2012.
- Attended ISACON 2012 at Ondore, Dec 26-29
- Attended Advancing the Art and Science of Regional Anaesthesia in 5th National Conference Academy of Regional Anaesthesia of India on 25-26th September 2015 at J.N. Tata Auditorium, Bangalore
- Lecture on “Post Operative – Pain Care” at the CME program on Nephrology and Urology, held at TCR-NU Kidney Hospitals, Krishnagiri on 9th March, 2014
- Presented a paper on Anesthesia for Transplant Surgery at the CME program on Nephro-Uro Transplant Anesthesia, held at NU West, Bangalore on 6th September 2015.
- Presented a paper on Post Operative Pain Management at the CME program on Nephro-Uro Transplant Anesthesia, held at NU West, Bangalore on 6th September 2015.
- International Anesthesia Research Society – NO. 2502920
- Indian Society of Anesthesia