Chief Nephrologist, NU Hospitals
Dr.Dilip Rangarajan completed his MBBS in 1985 from the prestigious Madras Medical College.He joined MD(General Medicine) at Madras Medical College in 1987 after topping the entrance examination for post graduation in tamil nadu.His stint in nephrology began in 1990 when he joined as a registrar in nephrology department at Pandalai hospital and Guest hospital,Chennai.He successfully completed DNB nephrology from Madras Medical College in 1994.He has headed the department of nephrology at Sundaram medical foundation,Chennai from 1994 before taking over as head of department of nephrology at NU hospitals in 2001. He has vast experience in handling critical care nephrology patients,haemodialysis patients and renal transplants.He has devised safety practices in haemodialysis which has considerably improved the quality of life in patients on haemodialysis.He does internal audits in various departments in the hospital pertaining to quality.He runs a DNB nephrology programme at NU hospitals.He also runs a training programme for dialysis technicians(CMDT/DMDT and BSc renal dialysis) at NU hospitals.He has various presentations at regional/national and international forums and many publications at the national level.He holds memeberships in international society of nephrology, Indian society of nephrology, indian society of nephrology-southern chapter,indian society of organ transplant,peritoneal dialysis society of india,nephrology association of Karnataka.
Dr. Dilip says that at NU Hospitals, most of the doctors are full-time consultants and so they can pay undivided attention to the patients. The doctors look at all aspects of patient care. Further, minute details of patient care are examined and looked after.
He says that as per the core values of NU Hospitals, everything exists for the sake of the patient. These core values are emphasised at all levels to the doctors and the hospital staff.
To administer effective patient care, the doctor should understand the medical condition of the patient and take immediate action for treating it. Therefore, the doctor must be well-read and up-to-date. He or she must have a good grasp of the problem in the current existing modalities of therapy for the problem.
Dr. Dilip says that, compassionate patient care requires that the doctor should be able to understand and empathise with the patient.
He says effective medical care can be ensured through putting systems in place. The doctors and hospital staff at every level in NU Hospitals follow standard operating protocols so that the
patient is provided care that is effective and seamless across departments and levels. Continuous checking is done to ensure that these standard operating protocols are being adhered to correctly.
Other Academic Activities:
6th December 2015
Approach to Renal Failure at CME on Nephrology, Urology & Reproductive Medicine at KM Hosptial, Ambur, TN
6th December 2015
Diabetes and Renal Failure at CME on Nephrology, Urology & Reproductive Medicine at KM Hosptial, Ambur, TN
December 18th – 21st 2014
Was a moderator for poster session at Indian Society of Nephrology 45th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Nephrology at Kolkata
17th December 2014
Delivered a talk on Acute Renal Failure in the Post Partum Period at RCOG Society members, (Royal College of Surgeons of Obstetric and Gynecologists) – Bangalore Chapter on Wednesday, Dec 17th 2014
August 1st 2014:
Chaired a session on Familial renal disease on 1-8-14 at ISRTPCON 2014 (7th international CME in renal pathology and annual conference of ISRTP) at JSS Medical College, Mysore
July 12th 2014
Talk about “kidney care:diseases and remedies” – at the Jayanagar Study Centre held on 12th July 2014
February 15th 2014:
Chaired the session on – Haemodialysis-daily to twice weekly- a practical approach at 34th Annual Conference of the ISNSC 2014 held at Bangalore on 16th Feb, 2014
January 16th 2014
Chaired a session on Anemia treatment in CKD patients in 2014: ERBP v/s KDIGO Guidelines held on 23th January 2014 – Asian Society of Continuing Medical Education at ITC Gardenia, Bangalore
April 7th 2013:
Chairperson for the common problems of bacterial peritonitis in India at SCIENTiA PD India held at St John’s Medical College Hospital, Bangaluru
Chaired & Judge for Transplant related free paper session at the “33rd Annual Conference of the SCISN-2013 held at Vijayawada
Chairperson & Coordinator for CME in CKD-refractory anaemia -organised by BIOCON at Bangalore(windsor manor hotel)
Chaired a free paper session & Judge for free paper session at the SCISN 32nd annual conference at Chennai
Invited lecture on “Renal Problem In General Practice” at CME conference at Mandya, Karnataka on 29 April, 2011.
Invited lecture on “Critical Care Nephrology” at ISNSC Annual conference at Thirussur, Kerala on 12 February, 2011.
Invited lecture on “Reflux nephropathy” at combined Bangalore urological society & Karnataka nephrology association meet at hotel chancery on 25 June, 10.
Invited lecture on “Metabolic Acidosis in ICU Patients” at Kerala Association of Nephrology held at Cochin, April 11, 2010.
Invited on “Quiz to the Nephrology PG’s” at ISNSCCON 2010, Pondicherry on 12th February to 14th February 2010
Lecture on “Renal Problems in General Practice”, CME Programme conducted by IMA Salem, on 22nd November 2009.
Invited lecture on “Blood Sugar control in Renal Failure”, Programme conducted by NEPHSIL 2009, Chennai on 19th September 2009
Lecture on “Renal Problems in General Practice”’ at CME Programme conducted by IMA Hosur, on 16th August 2009.
Lecture on “Renal Problems in General Practice”, Programme conducted by Chinmaya Hospital, Bangalore on 11th July 2009.
Invited lecture on Myeloma kidney in nephrology Karnataka Association and oncologist at Chancery Pavilion in Bangalore on 20/09/2008
Role of Nephrologists in the ICU at Kuttalam Tamil Nadu on 7/09/2008 during NEPHSIL 2008 Conference
ISN COMGAN MEET, 9th March 2008
Challenges in prevention of chronic kidney Disease for a developing country
Chair person for Topic Hypertension early detection and approach to management.
PG Quiz for MD (General Medicine) Students Organized By MMC Nephrology Alumni Meet, Kottayam
Lecture at Hassan to Physician on June 16, 2007 Topic delivered: Approach to renal failure
Journal Scan –Speaker in Feb 2007, SCISN, Hyderabad
Speaker on “Blood Pressure and Diabetes in Renal Disorders”, at CME Programme conducted by Indian Academy of Pediatrics & IMA, Mandya Branch, at IMA Hall, Mandya (9.9.2001).
Speaker on – “ Approach to renal failure” , an Annual CME conducted by BKF Chande Nephro-Urology Centre at Presidential Lounge, Century Club, Cubbon Park, Bangalore – 560 001, on 29.7.2001.
Speaker – CME for IAGP members, KSCA Auditorium, Bangalore – on “Renal Failure Management”.
Various CME Programmes for Physicians (2001-Current)
AT CUSP (CLINICAL ULTRASONOGRAPHY IN PRACTICE) 2000 Conference – Panelist in Discussion of Hypertension
Appraiser for DNB (Neph) At Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore
1st March 2015
Chaired a session on “Clinical innovation and outcomes monitoring at Dialysis centers”. Talk by Dr. Mahesh Krishnan of Davita on at Le Meridian Hotel, Bangalore under auspices of NAK and Davita
12 April 2015
Lecture on Nephrology and Urology interaction at Meenakshi medical mission, Madurai under auspices of IMA.
Associated Academic / Society Activities:
Attended “Arogya Salahe” on “Know your kidney”, on 10.12.2008, conducted by 4MTV, Bangalore
Attended “Arogya Salahe” on “About Hemodialysis & CAPD”, on 24.12.2008, conducted by 4MTV, Bangalore
Experience In Clinical Trails
- An open-label prospective study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of rHuEPO (CIMAB, Cuba) in patients either on dialysis or non-dialysis for the management of anemia in chronic kidney disease. Principal investigator – Dr.Dilip Rangarajan in the year 2005
- GRID Study in colloboration with Brigham and Women’s Hospital – Harvard Medical School. Principal investigator – Dr.Dilip Rangarajan in the year 2011
- Live Related Renal Transplants – 300
- Cadaveric Renal Transplant -9
- Active CAPD Programme
- Haemodialysis 45-50/Day
Career Goals: To Organise A Good Cadaver Transplant Programme
Paper & Presentations:
1st August 2015
Chaired a session on 25 years of PD in India past, present and future in PD college at St.Johns medical college, Bangalore
30th July 2015
Chaired a session: Approach to a sensitized renal transplant patient in Dr.Mishra, Head Transplant Immunology Lalpath labs on behalf of NAK at Hotel Chancery Pavilion, Bangalore.
February 13th – 15th 2015
Invited lecture in ISNSCCON 35th annual meeting by Dr Dilip on CKD – Impact on Nervous System
December 18th – 21st 2014
Co-author for Oro-poster presentation at Indian Society of Nephrology 45th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Nephrology at Kolkata
Membranous nephropathy our experience
Comparison of efficacy of Tacrolimus vs. Cyclosporine based immunosuppressive regimes in renal transplant recipients
Co-authored for Oral-poster presentation – “Why is arteriovenous fistula getting delay” in the ISNSC 2014 held at Bangalore on 16th Feb, 2014
Co-authored for Oral-poster presentation – “Areteriovenous fistula interventions – are they successfully” in the ISNSC 2014 held at Bangalore on 16th Feb, 2014
Co-authored for Oro-poster presentation -“urinary tract infection and lower urinary tract abnormalities in renal transplant recipients” at SCISN 2014 – Bangalore, held on 20th Feb, 2014 (Got the 1st prize)
Author for oro-poster presentation “Comparative study of diabetic and non diabetic end stage renal disease on maintenance haemodialysis” in the ISNCON 2013 held at New Delhi on 13th Dec 2013
Co-authored for oro-poster Presentation – “Vascular access audit” in the ISNCON 2013 held at New Delhi on 14th December 2013
Co-authored for Oral Presentation – “Antibiogram of culture positive urine isolates” (Got the first prize in general nephrology category) & Co-author for Poster Presentation – “CMV disease in renal transplant recipients” (Got the third prize) at SCISN-2013 held at Vijayawada on 9th & 10th Feb 2013
Co-authored for Oral Presentation – “ICU admissions in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease” AND “Renal Transplantation in ADPKD – our experience” on ISNSCCON 2012, Chennai on 2nd – 5th February 2012
Co-author for Poster Presentation “Recovery of Renal Function in Obstructive Renal Failure” on ISNSCCON 2010, Pondicherry on 12th February to 14th February 2010.
Co-author for Oral Presentation “Fistulogram the management of AVF complications ” on ISNSCCON 2010, Pondicherry on 12th February to 14th February 2010 – Best Paper Award.
Prevention of progression of CKD recent advances in management – CME in Nephrology Department of Nephrology – St. John’s Medical College at Hotel Atria International, Bangalore.
SCISN: Mysore February 2008
Poster: Nutritional status of patients on Haemodialysis
Oral: Haemodialysis in elderly
Oral: IGAN – our experience
ISOT: Chronic Allograft dysfunction – Oral Paper, October 2007
3 year survival in live related renal transplant –SCISN, Hyderabad, 2007
Renal abscess-analysis- SCISN, Hyderabad, 2007
Infections in PTDM-SCISN, Hyderabad, 2007
Renal transplant in diabetes mellitus-ISOT, Ahmadabad, 2006
Crescentic GN-our experience-SCISN, Chennai, 2005
Nutritional status of patients on Maintenance haemodialysis-9 month follow up-SCISN, Chennai, 2005
CAPD-our experience-ISNCON, Cochin, 2005
An analysis of adult DPGN-ISNCON, Cochin, 2005
Audit of transplant kidney biopsy-SCISN, Mangalore, 2004
Prevalence of dental diseases in ESRD patients – SCISN, Mangalore, 2004
Psychosocial problems in patients with ESRD on maintenance haemodialysis- SCISN, Mangalore, 2004
Tuberculosis in renal transplant recipients-ISOT, MUMBAI, 2004
Urinary tract infection-Early post renal transplant period-ISOT, Hyderabad, 2003
Mortality of patients with chronic renal failure on maintenance haemodialysis –SCISN, Coimbatore, 2003
CVVHD-our experience- SCISN, Coimbatore, 2003
Urinary tract infection in the immediate post renal transplant period-ISNCON, Vishakhapatnam, 2003
Acute renal failure-a prospective study –SCISN, Tirupathi, 2002
Dietary pattern & dietary awareness of patients on maintenance haemodialysis-SCISN Tirupathi, 2002
- “Approach to Renal Failure” – at the CME program on Nephrology and Urology, held at TCR-NU Kidney Hospitals, Krishnagiri on 9th March, 2014
- “Subjective Global Assessment of Nutritional Status of Patients on Maintenanence Haemodialysis” 20th Annual Conference of Southern Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology, Goa 2000
- “Tuberculosis in Patients on Maintenance Haemodialysis”, the Annual Conference of Southern Chapter of the Indian Society of Nephrology Hyderabad, February 1998.
- “Acute Renal Failure Due To Leptospirosis”, the Annual Conference of Southern Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology Kottayam, February 1997.
- “Acute Renal Failure – A 13 Month Experience in a Community Hospital” the Annual Conference of the Southern Chapter of the Indian Society of Nephrology, Bangalore, February 1996.
- “Lupus Nephritis”, The 13th Annual Conference of the Southern Chapter of the Indian Society of Nephrology Mysore, May 1994.
- “Ischemic Renal Disease” Asia Pacific Conference of Nephrology New Delhi, December 1992.
- Book chapter on “Autonomic Nervous System” book entitled “Prescribing Drugs in Renal Diseases”
- Survival analysis of patients on maintenance hemodialysis; Indian J Nephrol Volume 24;No.4: 2014:Pp 206-213
- A study of impact of cost-effective nutritional supplement in patients on maintenance hemodialysis; Indian J Nephrol Volume 24;No.4; 2014:Pp 222-225
- Acute Renal Failure in Diabetes Mellitus (Prospective Study); J Nephrol Ther Volume 3, No 3: 2013
- Membranous Nephropathy and Graves’ Disease: A Case Report and Literature Review; J Nephrol Ther 3: 133: 2013
- Native Valve Escherichia coli endocarditis following urosepsis: Indian Journal of Nephrology Volume 23, No.3:2013:Pp 232-234
- Post transplant thrombotic microangiopathy causing acute renal failure; Indian Journal of Nephrology 2009; 19; 74-76
- Syndrome of Tubulointerstitial Nephritis and Uveitis; JAPI VOL. 57: 2009: Pp 177-179
- Intraperitoneal Bladder Rupture Mimicking Acute Renal Failure: Indian Journal of Nephrology Vol. 18 No. 1: 2008: Page 26-27
- “Subjective Global Assessment of Nutritional Status of Patients on Maintenance Haemodialysis.” Indian Journal of Nephrology: 10. 2000. Pp 163-166.
- “Acute Renal Failure Following Alcohol And Nsaid” Indian Journal of Nephrology, Vol 9, No.2, 1999, Pp 59-60.
- Indian Society of Nephrology – ID 514
- Indian Southern Chapter of Nephrology Association
- Nephrology Karnataka Association
- International Society of Nephrology
- National Kidney Foundation
- European Renal Association – European Dialysis and Transplant Association (ERA-EDTA)
- NUTS of SAARC – LM178