There are two types of dialysis: haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. This page deals with peritoneal dialysis
In peritoneal dialysis, the patient’s peritoneum (membrane present inside the abdomen) is used for the purpose of dialysis. Peritoneal dialysis occurs within the patient’s body itself.
Types of Peritoneal Dialysis
Peritoneal dialysis is of the following types:
- Intermittent Peritoneal Dialysis (IPD): Intermittent peritoneal dialysis is offered to patients on a temporary basis when their blood pressure is low or in children with acute renal failure to tide over a crisis. It is performed for a short period of 24-48 hours
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD): In CAPD, the patient’s peritoneum is manually filled by hand with the dialysate and there are no dry periods
- Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (APD): APD is performed through a cycler machine. It is performed during the night when the patient is asleep
- Continuous Cyclic Peritoneal Dialysis (CCPD): In CCPD, the patient’s peritoneum is filled with the dialysate by a machine at night and the exchanges are carried out throughout the night. As the patient is not attached to the machine during the day, it enables the patient to be more mobile during the day
- Daytime Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (DAPD): In DAPD, the patient’s peritoneum is filled with the dialysate during the day and it is dry at night
- Night-Time Intermittent Peritoneal Dialysis (NIPD): In NIPD, the patient’s peritoneal cavity is filled with the dialysate manually or with a cycle at night and it is dry during the day
NU Hospitals, in collaboration with Baxter, has set up a CAPD center with a coordinator trained in CAPD manning the center.
At the center, patients are initiated on CAPD. Patients and their attendees are also educated regarding the procedure, hygiene, etc. Counseling about the various options available for patients with end-stage renal disease is also done. The center also possesses a cycler machine that enables patients to undergo CCPD when required. This process is completely automated.